Phoebe Moffatt’s Practice Areas: Post Death & Trust Administration
Coping with the loss of a loved one is never easy. Phoebe Moffatt educates her clients with what to expect regarding post death and trust administration (commonly referred to as the probate process) to ease the process during this transition period. Frustration and concern often result from what is required to administer an estate and/or trust after a death. Questions arise as to what steps are really required, how long they should take, and what costs are appropriate.
Accurate answers require an in-depth understanding of the probate and trust administration process. She represents fiduciaries by filing the necessary pleadings to admit a decedent’s will to probate and preparing pleadings and documents required under law. The process can range from very simple to quite complex, depending on the case at hand. In trust administration matters, she offers the trustee guidance and assistance in fulfilling the trustee’s fiduciary duties under the terms of the trust and Arizona law.
Compassion and Communication
Ms. Moffatt takes special care during these difficult times to represent families with caring and compassionate counsel,
guidance, and direction. During this difficult time, Ms. Moffatt regularly communicates with her clients so that they are always aware of the status of the probate or settlement process. Based on her extensive experience, Ms. Moffatt establishes expectations regarding the amount of time the estate and/or trust administration will take, the amount it will cost, and the extent to which her client will need to be involved.
Ms. Moffatt assists her clients with a variety of administration services including:
- Initiate formal or informal probate proceeding in court, if required by law
- Coordinate with title companies, real estate professionals, and appraisers when necessary to liquidate estate and trust assets
- Assist the fiduciary in collecting decedent’s assets, notifying creditors of decedent, and paying any debts of decedent
- Assist fiduciary in the preparation of federal and state tax returns, review for accuracy and minimize liability for any estate and/or gift taxes
- Assist fiduciary in preparing an inventory and appraisement of estate and trust assets, and in complying with the disclosure requirements under the trust and Arizona law
- Assist fiduciary in transferring assets to beneficiaries under a decendent’s estate plan
- Assist fiduciary in fully funding and distributing estate and trust assets
- Preparation of the closing documents to be filed with probate court
Post Mortem Planning
- Provide advice to surviving spouse to re-evaluate estate plan
- Provide advice to beneficiaries to determine their own individual estate planning opportunities